Monday, March 15, 2010

Peppermint Meringues- Original Recipe

Okay follow the bouncing ball on this one... somewhere between a child hood cookbook and Auntie Sue, these cookies came about... or have they always been here.. this is what I mean. When I was VERY young, I made these cookies with my mom using chocolate chips. Later on , many many years in the future I re found the recipe and made it around Christmas time for co workers. and they said, hey bob, why don't you crush candy canes on top of these and try it that way.. so I did.. and they were delicious. Enter Auntie Sue... who's house I went by one holiday season and she had a plateful of these cookies, and I did not even give her the recipe. Well, Auntie Sue once again a woman ahead of her time, and apparently ahead of me in more ways than one.. I left the childhood recipe behind and have used her version ever since.... which are unbelievable, melt in your mouth sensations!

2 large egg whites at room temperature

1/8 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. cream of tartar

1/2 cup of Granulate Sugar

2 candy canes crushed (or 8 small candy canes, or 8 small disc shaped ones)

Pre heat the oven to 225 degrees.

Unwrap the candy canes and place in a bag that you can seal or tie up. Taking a mallet, the blunt side of a meat tenderizer or a soup can, crush the candy canes until they are semi-course chunks. You do not want a fine sprinkle or powder, although a small amount of the candy canes will turn out this way.

Beat egg whites until frothy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form. Beat sugar in 1 tablespoon at a time. Continuing 5-6 minutes more until very stiff, smooth and glossy. Spoon onto foil lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Bake 225 degrees for 90 minutes. Turn oven off and open door slightly and let the cookies cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment